Remove this ad

Is Alex Baldwin the latest Paula Deen?

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Jul 7 13 12:36 AM

Tags : :

Is Alex Baldwin the latest Paula Deen?

A coalition of leading gay and straight activists are calling for Capital One to part ways with spokesman Alec Baldwin following his homophobic Twitter rant directed at a reporter. “We urge all Americans to ask themselves, ‘What’s in your wallet?’ We hope they will reject Alec Baldwin’s homophobia by cutting up those Capital One cards in their wallets,” Jimmy LaSalvia, gay conservative strategist and GOProud co-founder, told Breitbart.com.

Baldwin has apologized for the tweets directed at reporter George Stark who wrote a story claiming the actor’s wife, Hilaria Thomas, was tweeting during the funeral of Soprano’s star James Gandolfini. “My ill-advised attack…had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone’s sexual orientation,” Baldwin said in a statement sent to the gay rights group GLAAD on Friday. “As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize.”

Baldwin’s controversial tweets read, “[I’d] put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much,” and “I’m gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I’m gonna f**k you…up.”
The 55-year-old actor sent out the messages from his @ABFoundation Twitter account, according to screen grabs published online. Baldwin disabled the account following the rant but it has since been restored – minus the offensive tweets – and it seems business, for Baldwin is back to normal.

Some have pointed out that while Baldwin’s homophobic slurs were similar to TV chef Paula Deen’s racial slurs (she admitted to using the N-word 30 years ago), the fallout is not. The 66-year-old chef was dropped by all of her major business partners, including Target, Walmart, the Food Network and Sears, while so far Baldwin seems to be getting off scot free. “Companies know the media won't beat them up for keeping Baldwin on board, despite his violent threat and homophobic comments,” explained Dan Gainor, vice president of business and culture at Media Research Center. “Why? Because he's liberal and the same rules don't apply.”

Gainor predicted Baldwin likely won’t see any repercussions.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/07/06/activists-call-for-capital-one-to-drop-alec-baldwin-over-homophobic-tweets/#ixzz2YIaf3JaT

{ Is it right to try and take someone's livelihood away from them because of stupid statements made in anger? Both chef star Paula Deen and actor Alex Baldwin have been in the news lately because of things they have said. Deen certainly paid a big price for it and now perhaps Baldwin may as well. Anyone remember actor Mel Gibson's drunken rant against women and Jews or "Seinfeld show" comedian Michael Anthony Richards screaming racial statements at a guy heckling him during a stand-up gig? They both suffered considerable financial loses because of it.

Personally I don't have any sympathy for any of them but I would never go so far as to try and destroy them, personally, professionally or financially. I may boycott them myself but is it my right to ask others to do so? What do you think?}

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jul 7 13 12:40 PM

No, that's not at all what I was saying.  I said or implied nothing about actors in general. I was just saying that Baldwin's personal character doesn't affect his acting ability.  He doesn't get paid to be of good character, he gets paid to act and entertain.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jul 7 13 5:39 PM

RayMc wrote:
Paula Deen "confessed" to something in the past and was destroyed..........Baldwin goes from one faux pas to the next. He is an over-indulged "diva" who should have been blacklisted long ago.  

As is usually the case, Ray is spot on. This pretty well sums up the situation, particularly with regard to Baldwin.

L'amore e cieco ma vede lontano. (Love is blind, but sees afar.)
Italian Proverb

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 8 13 3:47 PM

Can't help but remember my Father in Law, my Dear Grandmothers, my Mother in Law and a few select others that make Paula Deen pale in comparison.  They were all not so much bigots but very less than diverse and very apt to use the N word or any assorted other verbal cues as to other humans.  The likes of Archie Bunker were my family as a youth, I am not proud of that and those days are now just history so let's all move on and grow up if not out of the gutter.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 8 13 5:39 PM

I use the word as an expansion of what I assume racists are "thinking".

"Must I do all the evil I can before I learn to shun it? Is it not enough to know the evil to shun it? If not, we should be sincere enough to admit that we love evil too well to give it up. "
                                -- Mahatma Gandhi --

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 8 13 7:18 PM

RayMc wrote:
Paula Deen "confessed" to something in the past and was destroyed..........Baldwin goes from one faux pas to the next. He is an over-indulged "diva" who should have been blacklisted long ago.  

I have a feeling if he was on a smaller stage it wouldn't matter.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 9 13 11:29 AM

I use the word as an expansion of what I assume racists are "thinking".-Yob

While I'm not very fond of the N word I have used it as a form of protest against the common usage of the B word in reference to women. To get people to think about the double standard. People need to recognize that using the B word is not significantly different. It is at least as hateful and insulting to women as the N word is to black people.

That may have been what Paris Hilton was doing when she was quoted using the N word. She's certainly been the target of people tossing the B word her way. Can you imagine what would have happened to Conan O'Brien if he had called some black celebrity a n....r when they acted up in public instead of repeatedly calling Paris Hilton a b...h on his talk show? He'd have been out on his can in a hurry.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 9 13 7:17 PM

verrip1 wrote:
Alex Baldwin?  Isn't he on that Dumbest Videos show with Danny Bonaduce? 

That should be penalty enough for a lot of mistakes.

Actually I believe that is one of his brothers.

k

L'amore e cieco ma vede lontano. (Love is blind, but sees afar.)
Italian Proverb

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 11 13 1:09 AM

The issue here is still, Paula Deen admits she did something decades ago, and ALL her sponsors don't just drop her, they throw her like a live grenade.  ALEC Baldwin goes on a tirade days ago, ON THE INTERNET, then says "Sorry, my bad", and nothing happens?

That's miles past being a double standard.

image image image
SGT. JIRI TREBISSKY H&D SAS

“We are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 13 13 7:46 AM

GoHawk wrote:
verrip1 wrote:
Alex Baldwin?  Isn't he on that Dumbest Videos show with Danny Bonaduce? 

That should be penalty enough for a lot of mistakes.

Actually I believe that is one of his brothers.

k
"Sorry, my bad".  smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jul 13 13 7:54 AM

Trebissky wrote:
The issue here is still, Paula Deen admits she did something decades ago, and ALL her sponsors don't just drop her, they throw her like a live grenade.  ALEC Baldwin goes on a tirade days ago, ON THE INTERNET, then says "Sorry, my bad", and nothing happens?

That's miles past being a double standard.

I think it might have something to do whether you are "A" list or "B" list. Woody Allen, Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help