Remove this ad

Is ObamaCare falling apart under its own weight? | Watch the …

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Sep 30 13 12:26 AM

Tags : :

Is ObamaCare falling apart under its own weight?

The fact that Obama is making exceptions with ObamaCare while the rest of us have little choice proves the unfairness of this sign it before you read it bill.

"You ain't wrong if you're right"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 30 13 2:11 AM

I have to admit I am really sick of this whole Obamacare war that's been going on. Why don't the Republicans just wait and give it a chance? Why do they have to be so obsessed with crushing it before much of it has even started? They are not making any friends with the American voter here and they will pay for this stubborn obstructionism. Mark my word.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 30 13 4:14 AM

Obama care is my only hope

CNN PRODUCER NOTE     "It's all too easy for some to dismiss us as 'takers' who are looking for a 'free ride' as opposed to the friends and neighbors and fellow Americans that we truly are," says Drewood. "I...was compelled to share my story in an effort to humanize some of the people who are really desperate for affordable health care." He talks about his situation in this video.

I am a self employed American father of 6 children who has not had healthcare for as long as I can remember. Three years ago I had a relatively minor illness that led to the discovery and diagnosis of the early stages of a type of lymphoma. In De. where we live, I was eligible for free cancer treatment for a period of two years from the time of diagnosis. The problem is that treatment at this stage basically consists of monitoring the progression until it requires treatment, twice yearly bloodwork and pet scans. Fortunately there was no real change in my condition during that two year period.

Unfortunately after the two years were up I was systematically dumped from the program. I'm left now with the option of paying out of pocket for these tests every six months or not being tested and hoping for the best which is what I'm doing.Paying for these tests out of pocket would cost thousands of dollars and is not a realistic financial option for my family. There are no insurance companys willing to take me on now regardless of the price even though I am relatively healthy and hopefully will remain so for many years. Obamacare really is my only hope for getting insurance.

My only other option without Obamacare is to wait until my illness progresses to the point that I have to seek treatment, effectively putting my family in financial ruin. I have worked hard all my life. Paid my bills, honored my obligations and done what I could to provide a decent life for my family. I have never been a "taker" from our society. Health care has just always been something that was financially out of reach for us.My biggest fear now is that congress will do anything possible to delay implementation of this health care bill and I will go on not knowing if my cancer is progressing or if preventative treatment is necessary.

Sadly, I have to believe there are others more desperate than I. For some of us this fight is very personal and in fact a matter of life and death. It's hard to watch our congress squabble over ideology when your life is the one at stake. Congressmen who will never know what it's like to have a symptom or illness that isn't immediately treated with the best possible healthcare without finances even being considered. Obamacare is my only hope to go on living and working, contributing to society and caring for my family for hopefully many years to come.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1040732?hpt=hp_bn1

{ Just one reason why Obamacare must not be destroyed by the Republicans.}

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 30 13 5:05 AM

Obamacare does not provide free healthcare - whether this individual would qualify for subsidies is a different question since we don't know how much he makes (or what state he's in) - absent that he's still going to be faced with paying for health insurance.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 30 13 5:20 AM

This seems relevant:

Nearly half of Canadians facing major illness struggle financially: poll

Nearly half of all Canadians facing a major health crisis, such as cancer or a stroke, are struggling financially as a result, according to the latest research from Sun Life Financial.

The company’s annual health index found that 40 per cent of those surveyed reported feeling financially strapped after a serious health issue or diagnosis, while 53 per cent of 45- to 54-year-olds said they`d been hit hard by unforeseen health-care costs.

While most Canadians realize a serious health event could impact their personal finances, only 13 per cent said they had money set aside for such an eventuality.

“People don’t necessarily see themselves as being at risk for a major health event, it’s not something you want to think about,” Kevin Dougherty, president of Sun Life Financial Canada, said in an interview.

“As well, people maybe have a feeling that the health-care system is going to look after them ... (but) a lot of the care that you need at home and in recovery is not necessarily covered by the public system.”

The report showed that some Canadians underestimate out-of-pocket health costs, especially when it comes to prescription drugs.

Even though some drug costs are covered under company health plans, most people still have to pay a percentage themselves. Yet only 54 per cent of respondents said they expected to pay any amount of money directly for their prescriptions.

The survey showed that in the past 12 months, Canadians spent an average of $1,354 on medical or health-care products and additional services.

One-fifth of those surveyed had no group insurance, personal insurance or health expense savings — and more than 81 per cent hadn’t put any money aside for health-care emergencies.

Sun Life said that among those who did experience a health crisis, 22 per cent turned to credit cards or personal lines of credit, another 22 per cent tapped into personal savings, 12 per cent borrowed from a loved one and five per cent had to either remortgage or sell their home.

Dougherty said such choices only add to people’s stress levels as they battle a major illness.

“You’ve got this immediate stress that’s playing out for the person, but once they’ve gotten through to the other side they’ve really derailed their retirement plans,” Dougherty said.

Overall, the poll found Canadians were feeling good about their physical and emotional health.

The index reached a record high of 65.9 this year, up marginally from last year, and 4.7 per cent higher than the low recorded in 2011.

The Sun Life Canadian Health Index was based on the findings of an Ipsos Reid poll conducted May 10-24, with a sample of 2,400 Canadians aged 18 to 80 who were interviewed online.

The health issues discussed in the survey included heart attack, stroke, cancer, coronary bypass, chronic diseases, degenerative disorders, terminal illnesses and serious accidents, with 28 per cent of Canadians saying they had experienced a serious health event or an accident in their lifetime.

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/nearly-half-of-canadians-facing-major-illness-struggle-financially-poll/article14599214/

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 30 13 6:48 AM

And you might want to read this as well:

Obamacare Website Quietly Deletes Reference to 'Free Health Care'

Even as President Obama and his administration are making a last minute push to encourage enrollment in Obamacare, a quiet change was made on the Healthcare.gov website regarding those who will still not be able to afford coverage after the program kicks in. From at least June 26, 2013 to as recently as September 15, under the topic, "Where can I get free or low-cost care in my community?" the following statement appeared: "If you can't afford any health plan, you can get free or low-cost health and dental care at a nearby community health center." Here is how the page in question appeared:

However, sometime between September 16 and September 23, the reference to "free" care was dropped. The title of the topic was changed as well, and now reads: "Where can I get low-cost care in my community?" Here is how the page currently appears:

The page in question is not a new one, as the webpage's Internet address remains the same, still containing the word "free": www.healthcare.gov/where-can-i-get-free-or-low-cost-care/.  However, there is no notation anywhere on the page that it was revised; the change just appeared unannounced.

Other changes include dropping references to "dental" care and the availability of "prescription drugs," as well as exchanging the phrase "specialized care for more serious conditions" for the milder "referrals to specialized care."

Since President Obama has been emphasizing of late how inexpensive Obamacare will be for many Americans, advertising the availability of "free" health care might have been viewed as a deterrent to purchasing even the least expensive option from the government-run exchanges. Since the "bronze" and "silver" level plans that the president has recently been touting as equaling "the cost of your cable bill" and "less than your cell phone bill" will still entail significant out-of-pocket costs for medical care, "free" might still look more attractive to many on the lower end of the income scale. It may be that community health centers will still offer free care to some, but visitors to Healthcare.gov will no longer be made aware of the option.

===========================================

Oooops ....

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 30 13 6:52 AM

Who put that up, cause it wasn't the govt., funny things always disappear in print according to the right. I'm sorry Shift but I have paid very close attention to the govt. websites and there was never any "free." stated anywhere, ever.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 30 13 7:31 AM

katie, the article is clear about where they were posted (www.healthcare.gov) - and provides links to both the archived original (that refers to free healthcare) and the revised one that only refers to low cost healthcare.

Fact is that it's difficult, if not impossible, to modify a website without being caught - there are numerous archiving programs that automatically scan and store copies of websites on a daily basis. This one is to be found on www.webarchive.com.

If you look at

http://web.archive.org/web/20130821174012/https://www.healthcare.gov/where-can-i-get-free-or-low-cost-care/

you'll see what the site looked like and, if you click on the top of the page you'll see that images were captured 17 times (click on that and you'll be taken to a page that shows the dates of those image captures).

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 30 13 7:43 AM

Well Shift that has nothing to do with buying insurance, those are the free clinics that have been around for decades funded privately and publically, they are used by the homeless, mentally ill and addicts. We have several in my city and they have been here for the 30 plus years I have.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 30 13 7:50 AM

katie5445 wrote:
Well Shift that has nothing to do with buying insurance ...
Actually it does since it impacts those who won't be able to afford coverage after Obamacare kicks in.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 30 13 7:55 AM

Click on the link about community health centers, they are absolutely 100% talking about locating a health center community clinic in your area, they are already established, they are already free or low cost and the website asks you to put in your zip to locate one for you. This has nothing to do with ACA. I could walk in one today and be seen under the exact same circumstances I would on 01/01/14.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 30 13 8:01 AM

shiftless2 wrote:
katie5445 wrote:
Well Shift that has nothing to do with buying insurance ...
Actually it does since it impacts those who won't be able to afford coverage after Obamacare kicks in.

Considering community health centers have been around for decades, you will have to explain that to me. 

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 30 13 8:02 AM

The important thing is that the government website has taken down references to free healthcare - it may still exist but, because of the push to sign people up for Obamacare, people are no longer being told that it's an option.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 30 13 8:35 AM

Here's an idea:

Write a bill that completely repeals the Affordable Care Act.

Name it "The Republican Health Care Act of 2013"

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored ~ Aldous Huxley

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 30 13 9:31 AM

John59 wrote:
Here's an idea:

Name it the sensible health care act and you've got a deal.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 30 13 9:34 AM

And then there's this little gem:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes/2013/06/10/thanks-to-obamacare-a-20000-doctor-shortage-is-set-to-quintuple/

We've already got doctors refusing to see Medicare patients because reimbursement rates are too low. Throw a few million more insureds into the mix and doctors will have even less inducement to accept Medicare patients.

As for insurance obtained thru the exchanges:

Healthcare providers are signaling that they may turn away patients who purchase insurance through the exchanges, too.

In California, for example, folks covered by Blue Shield’s exchange plan will have access to about a third of its physician network. The UCLA Medical Center and its doctors are available to customers of just one plan for sale through the state exchange, Covered California. And the prestigious Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is not taking anyone with exchange insurance.

Patients who live in central and southern Maine, meanwhile, stand to lose access to local doctors and hospitals if they buy coverage from the state’s largest health insurer through the exchange. In order to keep premiums down — and comply with all the coverage mandates Obamacare imposes — Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is looking to contract with just one hospital network, MaineHealth. The insurer told regulators that “this is critically important in offsetting premiums increases” driven by Obamacare.

The partnership might not be a problem if Mainers had other choices through the exchange. But thus far, Anthem and a small, non-profit start-up are the only two firms who have applied to sell coverage on the exchange.

If Medicaid patients and new exchange enrollees can’t actually see doctors, they’ll head to emergency rooms for care. But the nation’s ERs are already in crisis. More than half are over capacity, after some 650 shut down over the past two decades.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 30 13 9:41 AM

shiftless2 wrote:
John59 wrote:
Here's an idea:

Name it the sensible health care act and you've got a deal.

You call going back to what we had "sensible"?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored ~ Aldous Huxley

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 30 13 11:04 AM

Of course the healthcare we had before ACA was sensible.  The US was not in a healthcare crisis before ACA.  Some people didn't have insurance, but that doesn't mean they had zero healthcare.  It is a complete falsehood to suggest that there was a healthcare crisis right before ACA.  I'll bet dollars to doughnut holes that there won't be any significant difference in health metrics after ACA is completely implemented compared to the years just before it became implemented.   All this whining about returning to some sort of stone age is a bullshit, Chicken Little tactic.

I will also say that the politicians who are pulling out all the stops to find ways to circumvent the law are unreasonable.  If they can't get the votes to repeal it directly, then they don't have sufficient support and ACA stays.  Deferring implementation might be a reasonable thing to do, given that the Democrat-written law itself had quite a number of timed implementation dates - if the dates weren't sacrosanct to the Dems then, then there's no reason adding on a year or two here or there is inherently unreasonable.  However, the stated goal of some is the repeal of ACA, and if that's what they want, then they need to get the votes to get it through Congress and override a recalcitrant President.  If they don't have the votes, their opinion fails and ACA stays.  It's as simple as that.  The term 'sore losers' is quite applicable here.

Last Edited By: verrip1 Sep 30 13 11:36 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help